Ahimsa Dog Training Manual: Practical, Force-Free Guide to Problem Solving & Manners (Unsigned Paperback)
Format: Unsigned Paperback Book.
Also available as a Digital Download.
This quick, easy to read manual is helpful for dog trainers to use with clients, but is also ideal for new puppy parents.
Starting right from the basics, and working its way up to more advanced exercises, the Ahimsa Manual includes info on: how dogs learn, clicker training, how to get rid of bad behaviors (puppy biting, fear/aggression, separation anxiety, etc.), how to teach good behaviors (coming when called, the name, watch, relaxation, sit, down, stay, wait, touch, walking on leash, give, go to your bed, and much much more!
Current Table of Contents (subject to change with updated versions):
- COMMUNICATION & LEARNING GO BOTH WAYS
- UNDERSTANDING YOUR DOG'S COMMUNICATION
- LEARNING THEORY
- Four types of consequences for behavior
- Focus on the good stuff
- Killing with kindness: a note on rewards
- CLICKER TRAINING WORKS!
- WHAT IS A CLICKER?
- WHY DOES THE CLICKER WORK?
- GETTING RID OF PROBLEM BEHAVIORS
- JUMPING & OTHER ACCIDENTALLY TRAINED BEHAVIORS
- PUPPY BITING & CHEWING
- 15 TIPS TO STOP BARKING IN CLASS
- FEAR, FRUSTRATION, AND AGGRESSION
- Counterconditioning and systematic desensitization
- Behavior Adjustment Training (BAT 2.0)
- DON'T LEAVE ME! PREVENTING SEPARATION ANXIETY
- HEY, THAT'S MINE! PREVENTING & DEALING WITH RESOURCE GUARDING
- GOOD HABITS ARE HARD TO BREAK!
- TEACHING RELIABLE BEHAVIORS
- CHOICE POINTS-SET YOUR DOG UP FOR SUCCESS
- NAME GAME
- RECALL CUE-COMING WHEN CALLED
- Things to avoid when training Come
- General tips for Come
- Treat Party-the emergency recall cue
- Practice all the time
- Gradually make it harder
- Treat fetching-A fun way to train and play!
- More recall games
- RELAXATION ON CUE
- RELEASE WORDS-ARE WE THERE YET?
- Release cue
- End of session cue
- TOUCH-TARGETING NOSE TO HAND
- LOOSE LEASH WALKING
- Click for attention / Click for position
- Turn and follow
- Focused walking (Touch and you're heeled!)
- Being a tree or backing up
- Speed training
- Penalty yards
- Silky leash technique
- LEAVE IT
- GIVE OR DROP IT
- 101 THINGS TO DO WITH A BOX
- GO TO YOUR BED
- CRATE TRAINING
- ADDING A CUE TO ANY BEHAVIOR
- GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT UP
- RESOURCES FOR EVEN MORE HELP
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
"Of the thousands of dog training books out there, it's rare finding one that has something new to say or presents the science of positive training in a unique and meaningful way. Grisha's new book, the Ahimsa Dog Training Manual, does just that. Clear, concise, informative and extremely user-friendly, this book deserves a prominent place on every trainer's bookshelf."
-Paul Owens Best-selling author of "The Dog Whisperer; A Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training" (Adams Media, 1999) and "The Puppy Whisperer A Compassionate, Nonviolent Guide to Early Training and Care" (Adams Media, 2007)
"This is it! This is the easy-to-read, concise handbook that every responsible dog owner will want to read. This manual spells out practical, step-by-step training solutions while educating the reader on the science behind the theory. Grisha is the leading authority on Behavior Adjustment Training, and shares her unique method of bringing about change in a positive, force-free, and fear-free environment. This book also shows us a way to teach loose-leash walking that is free from frustration and maps a clear strategy for us to follow.
Renowned Stunt Dog Performer and author of best seller "101 Dog Tricks"
When Fido arrives at the intersection of Good Dog Street and Bad Dog Alley, which way will he go?" asks Grisha Stewart in her book, The Official Ahimsa Dog Training Manual: A Practical, Force-Free Guide to Problem Solving and Manners. Grisha's book can help you manage Fido's environment and train him to make good choices. She offers a variety of force-free ways to train common behaviors, and her writing is always engaging and as friendly as her methods. Your dog will definitely enjoy your training sessions based on this book."
-Teoti Anderson, CPDT-KA, KPA-CTP, Pawsitive Results, LLC, Lexington, SC APDT Past President and of "Your Outta Control Puppy," "Super Simple Guide to Housetraining," "Quick & Easy Crate Training," and "Puppy Care and Training"
I recommend this book to my pet shop customers. It's easy to understand, and full of excellent advice. Modern dog training at its best!
I'm new to dog training and this book was easy to understand and very practical.